OK, I'll bite

In the newly published Style Guide (
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/style_guide.html), right at the end it
says

    Modules should avoid the use of extlookup() in favor of ENCs or other
alternatives

But there is no reason as to why.

We have a rule of thumb where we use the ENC to set specific information for
a host, and extlookup for groups of servers (based on class, location, etc
set in the ENC). It works well, and we even received a thumbs up in a recent
Puppet Labs audit of our manifests as we have clear separation of
configuration and data.

So, why should we avoid extlookup()? What should we use instead?

John