On 12/04/11 23:43, russell.fulton wrote:
> On Apr 13, 4:16 am, Adam Heinz <a...@metricwise.net> wrote:
>>>      context => "/etc/network/interfaces",
>>
>> Shouldn't this be "/files/etc/network/interfaces"?
>
> Thanks! that was the thing I was missing.
>
> The iface stuff works fine now but I can't figure out how to add a new
> auto line
>
> "set auto[. = 'eth1'] eth1",
>
> gives an error on save ?
>
> augtool shows auto[1] having multiple values:
>
> augtool> ls /files/etc/network/interfaces/auto
> 1 = lo
> 1 = eth0
>
> so how should I add entries?

So that method is trying to set the value of auto to 'eth1', but the
tree layout has a '1' node under each 'auto' node.  The best way to see
this is to look at augtool's print command:

augtool> print /files/etc/network/interfaces/auto
/files/etc/network/interfaces/auto[1]
/files/etc/network/interfaces/auto[1]/1 = "lo"
/files/etc/network/interfaces/auto[2]
/files/etc/network/interfaces/auto[2]/1 = "eth0"

When setting it, you need to have the '1' node in there too:

set auto[child::1 = 'eth1']/1 eth1

> and by the way
> http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/puppet/wiki/Puppet_Augeas
> is the best augtool documentation I found -- more in depth than the
> quick tour on the augtool site.

Yep, the quick tour is limited.  The wiki has some very useful info
hidden on it about constructing expressions, in particular:

http://augeas.net/page/Path_expressions
http://augeas.net/docs/tree.html

There isn't much specific to augtool as it mirrors the API itself.

What you might find useful is a new book that Raphaƫl Pinson's been
working on, which starts explaining it from the beginning - it's still
work in progress though.

https://github.com/raphink/Augeas-book/
(you'll need to clone and 'make' it)

Lastly, there are a few of us in #augeas on Freenode who can lend you a
hand with expressions if you get stuck.

--
Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Consulting