On 28/03/11 08:54, hai wu wrote:
> It turns out augeas on RHEL6 is 0.7.2, which does not have 'setm'
> command available. 'setm' is available in augeas release 0.8, which is
> available in EPEL, but not available for RHEL6 (the reason is the
> package is already in RHEL6, thus no package would be released in EPEL
> for this.

The setm command is supported in 0.7.2, which you can check with
augtool.  From http://augeas.net/news.html:

0.7.2 - 2010-06-22
    * new API call aug_setm to set/create multiple nodes simultaneously

I've just checked with augtool from the optional software channel on 6.1
and it's there.

> All I want to do is to put console=ttyS0 on all kernel lines in
> /etc/grub.conf. Since there is no such 'setm' available with augeas
> 0.7.2, is there any other workaround using augeas? Or the only way is to
> ask RedHat to upgrade its augeas package on RHEL6?

It's deeper than this, as you'll need ruby-augeas 0.4.0 or the 0.3.0-2
RPM from EPEL (which was patched) to support setm.  These seem to be
missing for EPEL6 at the moment though... I've asked David to see if
0.4.0 can be pushed.

Once you've got that, you'll also need the patch from this issue to
support it in the Puppet provider which has to natively understand each
command:
http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/6494

Given all of the above, I'd consider using 'grubby' instead:

define boot_kernel_arg($arg, $value) {
    exec { "grubby-arg-$arg":
        command => "grubby --update-kernel DEFAULT --args '$arg=$value'",
        unless  => "grubby --info DEFAULT | grep args= | grep
'$arg=$value'",

boot_kernel_arg { "kernel-console":
    arg   => "console",
    value => "ttyS0",
}

You might be able to do something involving ALL instead of DEFAULT too
(check the man page).

--
Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Consulting