I removed my call to strip(), and somehow the old buggy facts still appear:

The custom fact that generates extra custom facts:

bash-3.00# cat /var/opt/csw/puppet/lib/facter/host_facts.rb
if File.exists?('/GU/facts.txt')
   File.open('/GU/facts.txt').each do |line|
      var = nil
      value = nil

      var = $1 and val = $2 if line =~ /^(.+)=(.+)$/

      if var != nil && val != nil
         Facter.add(var) do
            setcode { val }
         end
      end
   end
end

bash-3.00# cat /GU/facts.txt
gu_environment=unset
gu_app_oracle_rac=unset
gu_app_oracle_oem=unset
gu_app_gdoc=unset
gu_app_banner=unset
gu_app_bboard=unset

the buggy facts:
bash-3.00# cat /etc/mcollective/facts.yaml|grep gu_
  "gu_app_bboard       ": unset
  gu_app_oracle_rac: unset
  gu_app_gdoc: unset
  "gu_app_oracle_oem   ": unset