On 04/19/2011 03:18 PM, jcbollinger wrote:

> On Apr 18, 8:57 pm, Ian Mortimer <i.morti...@uq.edu.au> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 23:22 +1000, jcbollinger wrote:
>>> (I am fairly sure that
>>> this is why the yum Package provider uses "rpm -e" instead of "yum
>>> remove" in the first place.)
>>
>> Except that installing or removing packages with rpm is now deprecated:
>>
>> http://illiterat.livejournal.com/7834.html
>
> I can't read the article (livejournal is blocked here).
>
> The bottom line as far as our discussion goes, however, is that it is
> *intentional* that the yum Package provider fails to remove packages
> on which other installed packages depend, and that there is good
> technical justification for that design choice.  I would be surprised
> if other Package providers were different in that regard.  Your Puppet
> manifests need to account for that, one way or another.

I disagree.

First off, the apt provider *will* recursively uninstall depending packages.

Second, this *is* sound design. If I tell puppet that I don't want
package "X" on my system, I expect it to remove it and do whatever is
necessary, except the provider's backend objects.

It is your opinion that a package manager should object as soon as a
depended package would be removed by an uninstallation. Myself, I don't
want to be bothered with such details. I fully expect my package manager
do care about all aspects of dependeny resolution, be it during
installation or its opposite.

Regards,
Felix