On Apr 29, 11:29 am, "R.I.Pienaar" <r...@devco.net> wrote:

> Sounds like you want resource chaining[1], you can resource chaining to affect
> the order of lots of other resources/classes.
>
> So:
>
> class aptproxy {
>    # set up the proxy
>
>    Class["aptproxy"] -> Package <| provider == apt |>
>
> }
>
> now if you include the proxy class it will adjust the
> relationships on packages using apt else those packages
> wont have the relationship at all.

That's a nice one.  I had forgotten that resource chaining could be
applied that way.

> careful though this has an unfortunate side effect that it
> will also realize all virtual packages with the provider apt
> onto a node.

Yes, that's an important drawback if you're concerned about the most
general case.  I tend not to use virtual packages, as
(unparameterized) classes provide everything I need for which I might
otherwise use virtual packages, but that's just me.

John