On May 2, 2011, at 11:01 AM, Chantal Rosmuller wrote:

> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 6:56 PM, Patrick <kc7...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On May 2, 2011, at 7:43 AM, James Turnbull wrote:
>
> > crosmuller wrote:
> >> Hi list,
> >>
> >> I am trying to get a puppet certificate on a new client but I get
> >> error:
> >>
> >> err: Could not request certificate: undefined method `closed?' for
> >> nil:NilClass
> >>
> >> I googled and found that it had something to do with reverse DNS
> >> lookup, the client is behind a NAT firewall so I assume a reverse
> >> lookup will fail. Can I bypass this somehow? Puppet version on master
> >> and client is 0.25.4
> >>

> > This is a Ruby networking issue with 0.25.4 that is fixed in 0.25.5 and
> > later.  I'd recommend upgrading.
>
> To be a bit more clear.  This is a bug in the networking code that is hiding
> the real (useful) error message.  Until you get the real error-message it
> will be almost impossible for us to give you help more clear than, "fix your
> network."

> Thank you, I upgraded to 2.6.1 and now I get another error
>
> root@client:~# puppetd --server client.mydomain.com --waitforcert 60 --test
>
> err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Connection refused -
> connect(2)
> warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
> err: Could not retrieve catalog; skipping run
>
> I don't understand the error all other clients can contact the puppet server
> just fine. The client is Ubuntu 10.04. Like I said the client is behind a nat
> firewall, can that be the problem?

First, and someone should have probably explained this to you, if you upgrade
the major version (0.25->2.6) of the client to be above the server, you will
have problems, but this doesn't sound like that.  To me it sounds like you are
behind a restrictive corporate firewall, or else your server is configured
through something other than puppet, to refuse communications from wherever
you're connecting from.  This would be a hardware firewall or iptables or
something.

Does ping work from that box?
Can you ssh in from that box (assuming ssh is turned on)?
Do any other services work in that direction?