So on one of my hosts but not at least one other, I'm getting this:

[root@beta01 /]# sudo puppetd -tv
info: Caching catalog for beta01.c44031.blueboxgrid.com
info: /Stage[main]/Ruby/Tidy[/etc/profile.d/rvm.sh]: File does not exist
info: Applying configuration version '1305353595'
notice: /Stage[main]/Puppet/Cron[puppet run cron]/ensure: created
"-":6: bad hour
errors in crontab file, can't install.

Which is odd.  They're both running centos packages for puppet 0.25.5-1.el5

I couldn't figure it out, so I ran strace, and found this:

  [pid  1872] write(3, "# HEADER: This file was autogenerated at Fri May 13
22:50:02 -0700 2011 by puppet.\n# HEADER: While it can still be managed
manually, it is definitely not recommended.\n# HEADER: Note particularly that
the comments starting with 'Puppet Name' should\n# HEADER: not be deleted, as
doing so could cause duplicate cron jobs.\n# Puppet Name: puppet run cron\n* 1
1 * * * foo\n", 366) = 366

Which is equivalent to:

# HEADER: This file was autogenerated at Fri May 13 22:50:02 -0700 2011 by
puppet.
# HEADER: While it can still be managed manually, it is definitely not
recommended.
# HEADER: Note particularly that the comments starting with 'Puppet Name' should
# HEADER: not be deleted, as doing so could cause duplicate cron jobs.
# Puppet Name: puppet run cron
* 1 1 * * * foo

That's one too many fields.

Not that it should matter, but the cron was *very* simple by that
time:

    cron { 'puppet run cron':
      command => "foo",
      user => root,