On 16 May 2011 20:14, Jonathan Gazeley <jonathan.gaze...@bristol.ac.uk>wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> We have configured puppet to manage its own puppet.conf on clients, and to
> ensure that puppetd is running on all hosts. However it does not manage
> puppet.conf on the puppetmaster, so if we accidentally mess up the config,
> we won't break the puppetmaster.

This seems a logical thing to do to me, I'll want to be able to turn on
archive_files sometimes, that's one angle I'm keen on. Would be useful to
separate the server and client config files though really, then it wouldn't
be irresponsible to manage the client side of the master server separately.

> The hostname of the puppetmaster is hard-coded, in our case. Can anyone
> think of a better way of identifying the puppetmaster, so our manifests will
> run anywhere, if we decide to make a different machine the puppetmaster?
>
> Well yeah, just make puppet a cname and set the certificate name used on
the master part of puppet.conf correctly. for this side of things, the
client config is totally default, and it just goes to "puppet" via DNS,
works perfectly, and I can easily rebuild a server an point the puppet cname
to hit it. zero config on that side.

Cheers

Chris