On 20/05/11 22:24, Randall Hansen wrote:
> http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/7612
>
> The exported resources syntax:
>
>     @@user { luke: ensure => present }
>
> Is concise and powerful, but very difficult to read. We should
> consider word-based syntax, e.g.:
>
>     export @user { luke: ensure => present }
>
> And taking into account #7605, perhaps:
>
>     export virtual user { luke: ensure => present }
>
> Please comment on the ticket or reply here, whichever you prefer.

I sincerely hope you'll keep the old syntax around.

I'm terribly sorry to be negative, but I really don't like this kind of
verbosity.

This is a language, and every language has some idioms. IMHO, newcomers
should better read the documentation than trying to infer what the
language does by reading example of it. This feature is an advanced
feature I don't expect newcomers to grasp in its short or verbose form,
they'll have to read about it.

One thing I like with the Puppet DSL is that it's concise, you can
express resources states with the less word possible, yet still be readable.

If you really want to simplify people's life, make those extra
attributes become metaparameters (but please keep the old syntax):

user { luke: ensure => present, virtual => [boolean] }

That would even allow us to parametrize virtuality/exportability with
the help of an expression (ie selectors, functions, boolean expressions ...)

My $0.02
--
Brice Figureau
My Blog: http://www.masterzen.fr/