On May 24, 2011, at 1:50 PM, Daniel Pittman wrote:

> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 06:36, Mark Stanislav <mark.stanis...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> […]
>>> Larger keys, better hashing (probably by adding them as well as md5,
>>> rather than just replacing it, etc.)
>>
>> I really don't know of any reason to implement MD5 at all. It *is* broken
>> and we do have better algorithms to implement. Even if SHA-1 is on its last
>> leg, it's still a step-up. SHA-256 is preferred, though.
>
> Ah.  We have a policy of supporting at least two major versions back,
> and would generally prefer not to have to go and patch all the 2.6 and
> 2.7 releases out there when 2.8 moves to a more secure hash.  (...or
> 0.25 and 2.6 when 2.7 adds it. ;)

I don't think there should be a compat issue with regard to certificates as
that would be relevant to SSL libraries which should have fully supported those
algorithms for years. I could also be entirely wrong so feel free to let me
know as I'm speaking from a basic crypto perspective and not with respect to
Puppet directly.

> So, it isn't a requirement for any reason other than our desire not to
> make more work for ourselves than we need to; it would also be good to
> get into a mode where we are good at changing the hash; SHA
> derivatives won't last forever either.

NIST is working on the AHS candidates still and the timeline pushes it out
until 2013 to likely 'implement' it as a new standard (at least formally). SHA
256/384/512 are going to be plenty sustainable for this time period and the
foreseeable future.

-Mark