Guy,
To requery the facts during would, most likely, invalidate your catalogue
for that run.

I've handled this by doing the work over 2 puppet runs.

I have a custom fact that requires an X display (thanks to an install app
that requires X display, even when using command line options and silent
mode).

If the custom fact returns it's default value (ie. the install app
can't/hasn't run), I don't do anything with that app in the current puppet
run.
The particular class then just installs the ruby gem headless so the fact
can use it on the next execution.

Cheers
Mike