Hi,

> i want to archive the following:
>
> i define an exported ressource for HostX to be monitored in nagios:
>
>         @@nagios_host { $fqdn:
>                 ensure     => present,
>                 alias      => $hostname,
>                 address    => $ipadress,
>                 use        => "generic-host",
>                 hostgroups => ubuntu,
>                 target     => $icingahostfile,
>         }
>
> That fine and works as expected and HostX is in hostgroup ubuntu.
> HostX has included a class ssh which installs the ssh services and
> configures them. Inside this class i want to define that HostX is also in
> hostgroup ssh-server.
> And another class, which puts the node in another environment => there i
> want to define, that HostX is in hostgroup testing-server and so on.
> How do i archive that? How must the definition inside all these classes
> look like?

That's a lot more difficult than you might expect.

I recently solved it, by collecting all the necessary hostgroups for a
host in a file using 'concat', and creating a custom fact (hostgroups)
that joins all the lines in the hostgroups-file together, for use with
nagios_host's hostgroups parameter.

The biggest drawback is that it takes two puppet runs on the target (first
one for populating the hostgroups-file, so that the custom fact is set
properly on the second run) before the nagios server can collect the
exported hosts, so it takes a while.

Best regards,
Martijn.