If you look at what I tried to do you'll realize that's not the case.  I
understand what you're saying, but the issue is one of Puppet not supporting
its own 'syntactic sugar' consistently.  I created an array (this is not a
convenience for a large number of machines, it's a requirement) but since
it's an array of hashes rather than an array of strings it doesn't work
right.  That's a bug, plain and simple.  There's no point in having hashes
if we can't use defines or virtuals with them without breakage.