(apologies for the derail)

On 09-Jun-11, at 7:51 PM, jcbollinger wrote:
[snip]
On Jun 9, 1:33 am, Sirtaj Singh Kang <sirtaj.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 08-Jun-11, at 9:31 PM, Brian Gallew wrote:
[snip]
See, there's the crux of the issue: arrays are *not* a method of
looping.  Puppet's DSL is declarative, not procedural (imperative).

This isn't precisely true - every pure functional language I've seen
has some sort of list map and filter, otherwise nothing useful could
get done.

What do functional languages have to do with it?  Puppet is not a
functional language either.

Pure functional languages are the first class of pure declarative languages that came to my mind. Perhaps a better example would have been RDF or Prolog.

XML doesn't have a looping construct either, and its productive uses
are legion.

I don't see the language as similar to XML, since few people like to write XML by hand.

I can't rule out so vague an assertion, but Puppet DSL's domain model
and overall architecture have always seemed on target to me.

Fair enough, I agree it was a nebulous statement. I see a shortcoming in dealing with parameterized collections of resources, but I am having trouble articulating what a better system would look like.

-Taj.