hi,

i'm maybe misunderstanding your quetiosn but for me there's 2 ways doing
thaht:

first with exec

exec {"add_user_to_group":
         command => "usermod -G mysql $user",
         unless => "getent group mysql | grep $user"
        }

this will add mysql as secondary group for $user

or

user {"$user":
        groups => ["primarygroup","mysql"]

        }

this will do the same

but for me, the best would be to handle this by your ldap configuration with
something like this

http://blog.dimaj.net/2010/07/howto-verify-that-a-member-is-part-of-a-secondary-group-in-openldap/