We had the same problem and we just separated each node (or group of nodes) in one file and then we load them using the following syntax:

        import "nodes/*.pp"

You could also organize those files in subdirectories if you like so:

        import "nodes/*/*.pp"

The only problem we've found with this approach is when creating new files, puppetmaster takes a while to "see" them.