On 06/23/2011 03:37 PM, Kinzel, David wrote:
>>> this is not directly built into puppet.
>>
>> Is there any specific reason why this is not built into puppet?
>>
>> We've put __addifnosuchline [0] into cdist [1] as one of
>> the most basic features, because it's often needed if you do not
>> care about the existing contents, but just need to add a line.
>>

> I second this. This would greatly cut down on things we do with exec
> patterns. And no, I don't want to use augeas as I typically see people
> fighting with it to work in all their environments.

I know that other config management tools also use things like
"appendifnosuchline".
Personally I do not like this feature. (I do not like augeas either.)

I like having a complete configuration file in my vcs.
In case of review I see all configuration parameters which belong to the
specific configuration file.
This is quite useful since we do reviews on a monthly basis
In case of application upgrades I review the complete config file. I do
not need to check for single lines and whether the syntax has changed.

On the other hand puppet offers you a flexible way to build up features
by yourself:
http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/1/wiki/Development_Practical_Types
(This shows how to build up a reusable type for append_if_no_such_line.)

my 5pence.

kind regards,

Martin