If you keep your nodes in a nodes.pp file, and you are logging nodes as they
check in, you can run a little script that I run from time to time to find
nodes that have stopped communicating:

#!/bin/bash

tail -20000 /var/log/messages | grep "Compiled catalog for " | tr -s " " |
cut -f 9 -d " " | cut -f 1 -d "." | sort | uniq > /tmp/nodes_checked_in
cat /etc/puppet/manifests/nodes.pp | cut -f 2 -d "'" | cut -f 1 -d "." |
sort | uniq > /tmp/nodes_expected

echo "< nodes checked in, but not expected  ...  > nodes expected, but not
checked in."
diff /tmp/nodes_checked_in /tmp/nodes_expected | grep "[<>]" | sort

~Charles~