This seems to work but it does seem perilous and ugly. A meta description of
what I am trying to do is:
- install firebird sql server
- replace the 'security' file with a known file
- restart the firebird service

I'm not going to include firebird::install class because the part that worries
me is that I can't work on /var/lib/firebird/2.1/system/security.fdb directly
because we will want to maintain it locally after installation. I only want a
single shot deploy. So I am linking to /root/security.fdb and then copying it
from there to it's home. I suppose there is a much better way to do this but I
haven't found it.

My worry is that I never actually overwrite
/var/lib/firebird/2.1/system/security.fdb after the initial install/configure
phase is completed.

class firebird::configure {
  file {"/root/security.fdb":
    source => "puppet:///modules/firebird/security.fdb",
    owner    => root,
    group    => root,
    mode     => 640,
    replace  => false,
  }
  exec { "Copy KNOWN security.fdb into position":
    path        => "/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin",
    environment => "HOME=/root",
    command     => "/bin/cp /root/security.fdb /var/lib/firebird/2.1/system",
    user        => "root",
    group       => "root",
    logoutput   => on_failure,
    require  => Class["firebird::install"],

Is there a better way?

--
Craig White ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  craig.wh...@ttiltd.com
1.800.869.6908 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ www.ttiassessments.com

Need help communicating between generations at work to achieve your desired
success? Let us help!