On Jul 14, 2011, at 11:16 AM, Rob McBroom wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2011, at 1:16 PM, Craig White wrote:
>
>> Seems straight forward enough but I keep getting errors. On a client...
>>
>> err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER:
>> Failed when searching for node ubuntu5.ttinet: LDAP Search failed
>
> Have you looked at the logs on the LDAP server to see if the connection is
> being made and what the results are?
-----
doesn't appear to actually do anything other than bind - I don't see the
results of any search operation when I run slapd trace level (-d 1)

slap_listener_activate(7):
>>> slap_listener(ldap:///)
connection_get(18): got connid=1000
connection_read(18): checking for input on id=1000
ber_get_next
ber_get_next: tag 0x30 len 39 contents:
op tag 0x60, time 1310668120
ber_get_next
conn=1000 op=0 do_bind
ber_scanf fmt ({imt) ber:
ber_scanf fmt (m}) ber:
>>> dnPrettyNormal: <cn=admin,dc=ttinet,dc=local>
<<< dnPrettyNormal: <cn=admin,dc=ttinet,dc=local>, <cn=admin,dc=ttinet,dc=local>
do_bind: version=3 dn="cn=admin,dc=ttinet,dc=local" method=128
send_ldap_result: conn=1000 op=0 p=3
send_ldap_response: msgid=1 tag=97 err=53
ber_flush2: 67 bytes to sd 18
do_bind: v3 anonymous bind
slap_listener_activate(7):
>>> slap_listener(ldap:///)
connection_get(19): got connid=1001
connection_read(19): checking for input on id=1001
ber_get_next
ber_get_next: tag 0x30 len 39 contents:
op tag 0x60, time 1310668120
ber_get_next
conn=1001 op=0 do_bind
ber_scanf fmt ({imt) ber:
ber_scanf fmt (m}) ber:
>>> dnPrettyNormal: <cn=admin,dc=ttinet,dc=local>
<<< dnPrettyNormal: <cn=admin,dc=ttinet,dc=local>, <cn=admin,dc=ttinet,dc=local>
do_bind: version=3 dn="cn=admin,dc=ttinet,dc=local" method=128
send_ldap_result: conn=1001 op=0 p=3
send_ldap_response: msgid=1 tag=97 err=53
ber_flush2: 67 bytes to sd 19
do_bind: v3 anonymous bind
^Cdaemon: shutdown requested and initiated.
connection_close: conn=1000 sd=18
connection_close: conn=1001 sd=19

and running slapd at -d 32 (filters) dead silence after startup and issuing
command from a client

;-(

This may have something to do with it... Puppet documentation on LDAP ENC says

ruby -rldap -e 'puts :installed'

If this returns installed then you can try:

ruby -rpuppet -e 'p Puppet.features.ldap?'

but the second fails - perhaps because I am using puppet 2.6.8 installed from
gem.

ruby: no such file to load -- puppet (LoadError)

# gem list --local | grep -e "activeldap" -e "ruby-ldap"
activeldap (3.1.0)
ruby-ldap (0.9.11)

Craig