Hi there,

I am trying to setup a "cluster" on Amazon EC2, using auto-scaling. I
currently have it working so that when the instances are started, they
generate a CSR, which is automatically signed by the server if it's valid by
a cron job I setup to run every minute.

However, where does one go from there? I suppose now the nodes need to be
somehow registered on the puppet master so they can receive the correct
configuration, but I'm unsure how to do this. I've read several articles
which involve essentially creating a script which modifies the manifest, but
is there a better way than this?

I'm fairly new to Puppet, so my other question would be how does one
classify instances into "roles" or similar — for instance, if I am bringing
up a webserver, can I just add it to a "webserver" group and it will be
configured as such?

Any pointers would be very much appreciated :)

—Oliver