On 22/07/11 12:57 AM, John Hawkes-Reed wrote:
Hello.

As part of our Puppet rig, we manage a number of zonefiles with NSD. This means
that there's a directory of datafiles under ../puppet/modules/nsd/files/zones/
(and something somewhat similar for the Postfix virtual domains).

It seems to me that mixing code and data like that might be a bad idea, and was
wondering if anyone else had a better one.

Hi,
Data can be sourced from VCS repos, rather than your Puppet manifests/modules in at least 2 ways.

1. directory structures such as DNS zones file, or apps that are housed in VCS repos are managed through the vcsrepo type [1]
2. For an individual files content, we currently have something like:
file{'/blah':
inline_template("<%= `/usr/bin/svn cat http://repo.domain/somefile` %>"),
}
This should be moved into a function with some code to manage failure conditions such as being unable to contact the repository to ensure that such a failure doesn't cause corruption.

[1] http://forge.puppetlabs.com/puppetlabs/vcsrepo