On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Douglas Garstang
<doug.garst...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Well, this is frustrating.
>
> Let's say I have two puppet masters, where one is active, and the other is
> a hot stand by. Obviously each is going to have a different FQDN. Everything
> will work fine when the client talks to the server that signed it's
> certificate. However, after a failover to the secondary master, it's all
> going to fail because the FQDN of the master will not match.
>
> I've been searching around, reading the mailing list, and am surprised to
> find very little information on this. The new "Pro Puppet" book skims over
> this detail. You'd think they'd have some proof it before selling it.
>
> Anyway, someone suggested just using a DNS alias, but that doesn't seem to
> work. If my master is called hpma01p1, and the ssl certs are created in the
> default manner, when I create a DNS alias, and my client talks to hpma01p1
> by using 'puppet', it still fails:
>
> Could not request certificate: Retrieved certificate does not match private
> key; please remove certificate from server and regenerate it with the
> current key
>
> I know that there's a 'certname' option but it looks like it's only valid
> in the [agent], not the master section. How do I do this?
>
> Doug.

Actually, correction.... I'm getting this on the client:

debug: Using cached certificate for ca
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/openssl/ssl.rb:91:in `post_connection_check': hostname not
match with the server certificate (OpenSSL::SSL::SSLError)
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/net/http.rb:588:in `connect'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/net/http.rb:553:in `do_start'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/net/http.rb:542:in `start'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/net/http.rb:1035:in `request'

This post last message in this thread
http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users/browse_thread/thread/175183b711074480,
says:

"We have a single key/cert for the master named "puppet.arces.net" (or
puppet-qa.arces.net for the QA one).  I don't designate a cert name
anywhere - I just have a cert generated for the puppetmasters that
matches the hostname that the clients use to connect to the load
balancer, not a cert name for the hosts themselves. "

Seems to work for him for some reason!

Doug.