Thanks for the replies.

I did start off down the route of distributing binaries but was having
problems getting them to run on the different architectures involved
and ended up with multiple packages - and every time I needed to tweak
the build config I was having to rebuild multiple times.
It was so much easier to build on each machine... I perceived the
issue of removing gcc & make afterwards as being an easier problem to
solve. I thought there may be a way to do it without having to drop
down to scripting - but then again - the whole configure/make process
is just a set of scripts so no difference I guess.

Thanks again for the replies.