Unless something's changed, the Puppetca only needs to be available for
certificate *management*. if it were down, you couldn't create a certificate
for a new node or revoke for an old one. And I'm pretty sure the CRL has to
be actively distributed to Puppetmasters. (Meaning, if you revoke a
certificate on the CA you have to copy the crl.pem to all your Puppetmasters
yourself.)

Puppet should still work.