On 10 August 2011 08:47, James Turnbull <ja...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:

> We've just released version 0.3.4 of the puppet-module tool used to
> create and retrieve modules from the Puppet Labs Forge
> (http://forge.puppetlabs.com).
>
> excellent

> Will now be installed into your module path as:
>
> apache

No, actually it won't install into your module path: "This archive is then
automatically unpacked into a new directory under your current directory" --
unless you are in your module path

So reading the section "Install a module release" it says "You can then add
this *module directory* to your Puppet configuration files to use it". My
mind went huh? Seems like I'm not the only one (
http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users/browse_thread/thread/6ae174f50e5f7364
)

After 20 minutes of googling and Mr Google telling me there was a section on
the forge in Chapter 8 of Pro Puppet, I read the examples and worked out
that I need to install into modulepath as set in my puppetmaster config file

modulepath seems to be the key text missing in the instructions & examples.
It may be obvious for people who have been doing this, but first timers, its
not quite there.

So, if I was doing this, I'd have something like:

[environment]
    modulepath = /path/to/environment/modules:/path/to/forge/modules

$ cd /path/to/forge/modules
$ puppet-module install puppetlabs-lvm

[BTW this doesn't sit too well with me - seems to manual. I may end up
creating an RPM/pkg for each module to install...]

Hope this helps someone out there

John