Thanks for the replies so far from all. It does seem like it is both a
problem with the fact that I decided to explicitly version our
application modules and provide a mechanism for tieing configuration
"blueprints" in the ENC side to the version of the application module
in use, but no such mechanism for our common modules which naively I
had expected to remain relatively static.

So the ultimate solution may be to provide versioning in a similar
way, but by utilising the class interface specifications already
generated by introspection. I'm not sure what I would get from
resource_type in addition to what I already have, since it means some
additional work for every class to be called... surely there will be a
performance overhead.

The only remaining question is how to then tie configuration data
which now is the only static data coming into the ENC from the user,
with the class interfaces coming from the Puppet code. I expect I'll
puzzle over this over the next week and report back ;)