Douglas Garstang writes:
 > On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Steven VanDevender <ste...@uoregon.edu>wrote:
 >
 > > Douglas Garstang writes:
 > >  > Was that in reply to my original post, or a subsequent reply? You did
 > > see
 > >  > where I said /etc/puppet was a working copy, right?
 > >
 > > It sounds like you need to get to the point where no one does their
 > > edits under /etc/puppet on the puppetmaster, because you're obviously
 > > running into the problems that result when people edit there rather than
 > > in local working copies.  Once you actually start using the features of
 > > a distributed version control system in the way it's intended to work,
 > > you won't have those problems.
 >
 > Editing files locally under /etc/puppet as an individual user is not
 > mutually exclusive with editing files in a distributed working copy owned by
 > the same user.

Except, of course, that editing the working copy under /etc/puppet
causes problems and editing a working copy somewhere else doesn't
(assuming you're otherwise using proper version control procedures).

If your process is broken, you have to fix it.  Everyone on your system
administration team has to agree to use the same proper processes for
their work.