On Sep 1, 9:30 am, treydock <treyd...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Thanks for the suggestion.  I run puppet manually as you suggested,
> and still no errors.  Even stranger is sometime last night the errors
> stopped occurring.  From the time I activated the samba module, till
> last night it failed like clockwork, every 30 minutes.  Now the
> automatic puppet runs seem to be working just fine.

Yay?

> My understanding of the internals of how Winbind/Samba store and cache
> AD account information is a bit lacking, but could this be that it
> just took time for the groups/users to get cached?  Authentication and
> all other functions relying on these groups worked just fine from the
> beginnining.

Craig may be onto something with respect to nscd.  The Samba team's
opinion of it notwithstanding, you should be aware that by default it
provides both a positive and a negative cache.  That is, it remembers
lookup *failures* so as to (attempt to) improve performance on failing
lookups as well.  There may also be specific unfortunate interactions
with winbind, but I couldn't tell you what.

John