Switching to puppet (2.7.3) for managing my OS X Lion systems, I'm
finding group membership not being updated.

Starting out, user dt is not a member of group dt-grp:

# dscl . read /groups/dt-grp | grep GroupMembership
GroupMembership:

...Run puppet, says it adds to the group:

# puppet agent --test --environment production
info: Caching catalog for cypress.keck.waisman.wisc.edu
info: Applying configuration version '1315332406'
notice: /Stage[main]/Users_test/User[dt]/groups: groups changed '' to
'dt-grp'
notice: Finished catalog run in 0.89 seconds

...but the user still isn't part of the group:

# dscl . read /groups/dt-grp | grep GroupMembership
GroupMembership:

...Hrm, let's add the user manually...

# dseditgroup -o edit -n . -a dt dt-grp
# dscl . read /groups/dt-grp | grep GroupMembership
GroupMembership: dt

...But puppet still tries to add the user to the group...

# puppet agent --test --environment production
info: Caching catalog for cypress.keck.waisman.wisc.edu
info: Applying configuration version '1315332406'
notice: /Stage[main]/Users_test/User[dt]/groups: groups changed '' to
'dt-grp'
notice: Finished catalog run in 0.83 seconds

Any help much appreciated...