On Sep 7, 1:10 am, Ohad Levy <ohadl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 6:44 PM, treydock <treyd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've recently been looking to move my KVM management (currently via
> > Puppet and virt-manager) to something web-based and robust (ie
> > "Cloud"), and came across OpenQRM.  Looking at the features list it
> > mentions "puppet Class/Machine management".  Has anyone that uses
> > Puppet extensively given this a try?  I'd like to get input on how
> > this works.  The only ENC or GUI interface I've used with Puppet is
> > Foreman (which is awesome btw), but this peaked my interest.  Thus far
> > I've tried Cloudstack (a few months ago) and Convirt, both were great,
> > but not what I needed.
>
> BTW not sure if you saw it, but foreman supports libvirt/kvm out of
> the box, and we are working on adding additional actualization
> management support such as rhevm (once released --> in the upcoming
> weeks), vmware and ec2.
>
> if you have any improvement suggestions, or why foreman was not good
> enough, would love to hear that..
>
> thanks,
>
> Ohad
>

> > Any input on experiences with OpenQRM as it relates to Puppet would be
> > great, thanks.
>
> > - Trey
>
> > --

I actually plan to use Foreman to handle provision / configuration.
>From some videos I've seen around the net I'll likely use Foreman to
provision new systems on KVM as well.  Something like OpenQRM is for
things like console access, pool management, snapshots, migrations so
on.  Really this move to GUI management is more for the continuity of
my projects in my absence or to allow someone not familiar with Puppet
and KVM command line management to assist me in day-to-day
operations.  Plus my bosses' boss is hung up on having a "Cloud" and a
nice shinny web interface(s) will help sell my proposed open-source
cloud rather than my counter-part's Microsoft cloud.  Some people just
don't appreciate command-line.

Thank
- Trey