I looked into that, but I am not in control of all node definitions across
the system:

"You can optionally combine an ENC with regular node definitions in site.pp.
This works on the “I hope you brought enough for everybody” rule: things
will work correctly if you have an ENC and no node definitions, but if
there’s at least one node definition, you need to have a default node
defined or account for every node with a definition; Puppet will fail
compilation with an error if a definition for a given node can’t be found."

In my situation, nodes are already defined, I just need a way to dynamically
edit them.  I have no control over the overall puppet config... I simply
just need to add to a node definition.  Unless I am misinterpreting, it
seems as if ENC could potentially cause conflict with pre-defined nodes.  Am
I mistaken on this?