So, my essential point is that if that file did change – and it
genuinely did – we should report that back, and provide better tools
to filter it on the server side.  The advantage of filtering on the
client rather than the server is minimal, given we compress the data
transmitted, so you are talking about a few bytes of network traffic,
total.

Would you be equally satisfied if we allowed you to annotate that the
resource was expected to change every time, and then alerted you only
if it *didn't* change on a given run?  (...or just never displayed
that change to you?)

Daniel