Hello all,
I'm trying to figure some things out with SSL and would appreciate some help
or best practices here.

I'm implementing auto scaling over Amazon EC2 for some services I have, all
of the instances are based on the same AMI and I'm using Puppet to configure
the hosts when they come up to make sure they have the latest configuration,
also I'm using some exported resources in order to configure other instances
that need to use their details.

My auto scaling environment is supposed to be dynamic and go up and down as
needed, I also need to use host names that will differentiate one host from
the other and have some ID. Currently when a host comes up it gets an ID
between 1 and 25 (depends on what's available) and comes up.

My problem is that sometimes a node goes down, and then a new node comes up
and takes it's number (which is alright), but then puppetmaster refuses to
let it come up because obviously it now has a different SSL certificate than
the one that was previously up.

Is there a best practice or a solution for this problem? I do need to use
the same hostnames sometimes for instances that generate new certificates
when they come up, I've been trying to clean the certificates once in a
while for instances that are no longer responding but that didn't go very
well and I also understand that I need to restart the master in order for
that to take effect which I don't want to do.

Once solution that I thought about is to generate a certificate for each
hostname and make sure that when an instance comes up it gets the specific
certificate that was already generated and signed by the master. Is this a
good idea? Any other thoughts about this?

Thanks,
Galed.