On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Marcus, Allan B <al...@lanl.gov> wrote:

>   All good ideas.
>
>  Once issue I se with the 'have nagios run the puppet client' approach is
> that we want to monitor puppet more closely than once per hour. I'd like to
> come up with a intensive than a full puppet run, even if the run is
> inventory only.

I'm a big fan of setting up a dedicated environment for monitoring.

I usually put several file transfers into it with source parameter specified
files resources and keep that list static.

Then I monitor how long it takes for a client to retrieve and to apply the
monitoring environment catalog.

I used to run environments like this far more frequently than once an hour,
as the load itself is small, but it's a reliable set of metrics for
observing variation.

>  I think we will monitor the MySQL server (runs on a different machine),
> Apache port 80 on the puppetmaster machine, and a puppet run hourly. We will
> also monitor disk, cpu, and IO on the server. All of those should give us a
> good view.
>
>  Thanks for your ideas.
>

>  --
> Thanks,
>
>  Allan Marcus
> 505-667-5666
> al...@lanl.gov
>
>   From: Chris Phillips <ch...@untrepid.com>
> Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 06:13:53 +0100
> To: <puppet-users@googlegroups.com>
> Subject: Re: [Puppet Users] AW: How best to monitor puppet?
>
>  Our approach is to combine the monitoring and the execution. Totally ditch
> the puppet client service and use nagios to run a "check_puppet" script
> which does the puppet run and reports the exit codes. This also covers
> things like having a defined retry interval, so if puppet runs and there are
> no changes, it'll come back and run again in an hour, but if there are
> changes, it will run in 10 minutes etc... works really well.
>
> On 5 October 2011 04:36, Scott Smith <sc...@ohlol.net> wrote:
>
>> It doesn't matter if puppetmasterd or puppetd are running and working if
>> your clients are failing catalog runs.
>>
>>  Send reports, write a check that alerts on N hosts with failed reports
>> over X timeframe or something.

Nigel Kersten
Product Manager, Puppet Labs