"man pre link" will tell you:
       prelink  is  a program that modifies ELF shared libraries and ELF
dynamically linked binaries in such a
       way that the time needed for the  dynamic  linker  to  perform
relocations  at  startup  significantly
       decreases.

In short, don't use recursive copy to duplicate ELF binaries, or exempt them
from pre link in some fashion. In our case it was determined that only an
initial copy was necessary at this time.