we are having problems with incompatibility between older clients and newer
configuration syntax.
  (in specific, user resource system attribute was added somewhere between
2.6.6 and 2.6.11)

It seems the right thing to do for older clients when they attach is to give
them a very short manifest that immediately upgrades them.  I'm trying to
figure out how to do this.  I want something like this at the top of site.pp

if $puppetversion == '2.6.6' {
   class { upgradepuppet: }
  stop-parsing-here
}

I'd rather avoid putting all the rest of site.pp inside an else statement if I
can.

--
Jo Rhett
Net Consonance : consonant endings by net philanthropy, open source and other