I've been using passenger for about a month and it has worked fine -- however,
I noticed that catalog compilation times were increasing significantly.  I
couldn't find any errors in the httpd log, or anything wrong with the setup.
Last night I tried out the settings recommended by Larry Ludwig at the bottom
of this page
   http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/1/wiki/Using_Passenger

It seems to have killed the puppet master overnight.  Total CPU starvation.

Comparing active processes before and after enabling this, I see
1. Higher CPU usage  (9% average CPU with it on, 80% at first with load average
grows continuously with global queue on)
2. A lot more active httpd processes (10-12 average with it off, 17-25 with it
enabled)
3. A lot more active ruby processes (2-3 with it off, 3-7 with it on)

All of these are just personal observation of top over the course of a half
hour -- but sar and cacti confirm the cpu usage difference.

How many of you are using this? What settings have worked for you?

All puppet 2.6.12, all CentOS between 5.5 and 5.7 but with all recent updates
applied.
~500 clients on the standard 30 minute poll, so 3-6 connecting at any given
time.

--
Jo Rhett
Net Consonance : consonant endings by net philanthropy, open source and other