Hi Andrew,

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 9:19 AM, <ar...@berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Hello Puppet Cohorts,
>
> I wish to install programs on Windows that do not use the MSI installer.
>
> After finding a guide on-line for silencing most installers
> (http://unattended.sourceforge.net/installers.php) I feel confident I can
> write a short script for Puppet to "exec" on my hosts to silently install
> most of what I need.
>
> What I can't decide on a "best" way to test if the software has already
> been installed.  I am likely "off in the weeds" and could use some help
> getting back.
>
> Here are what I think my choices are, I make no claim to their sanity.
>  0.) I think using the "package" provider in puppet will not work if the
> program installed did not use the MSI installer.(?)

Correct, there is only an 'msi' package provider.

>  1.) Check for existence of a file known to be installed from the relevant
> installer.  If the file is found, the script exits.
>  2.) Some method to check the registry at
>
> "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products"
> for the existence of the program.
>  3.) Run Puppet Agent less often on the client so it is "not such a big
> deal".

If the packages are "well-behaving" they should follow these guidelines
during install/uninstall[1]. In particular, they should add the appropriate
registry entries under:

  HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Josh

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms954376.aspx

--
Josh Cooper