I would create a custom define to add/edit limits.conf and sysctl.conf lines into some "base" module, then call that define in a simple module. I don't know much about your internal processes but it shouldn't really be that much work - you'll probably spend more time documenting it than writing it ;-) If you make the limits.conf and sysctl.conf defines reusable enough you can avoid problems down the track with a dozen different admins editing these files a dozen different ways (exec sed vs augeas vs file resource, etc). Personally I've used augeas for something only to find out someone using sed to change the same field a few weeks later - makes for interesting debugging.

Also, even though it might be 8 nodes now, you have the added bonus that if you lost those servers in a disaster you know how to rebuild at least this part of them. What starts as 8 now may be more in 6 months time - though I'm pretty sure I don't need to tell you of the quadruple digit infrastructure this phenomenon ;-)