On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 4:24 AM, Jonathan van der Watt <
jonathan.vanderw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good day,
>
> I'm very new to Puppet and am trying to manage the snmpd daemon and
> associated config on our Red Hat servers using Puppet (for a start).
> My problem is not ensuring that the config file is present or that the
> package is installed. My problem is that the NMS we're using to
> monitor our servers needs to have extra config in the snmpd.conf file
> in order for it to monitor the space usage of mounted disks. Like so:
>
> disk /
> disk /var/log
> disk /var/lib/mysql
>
> This needs to be added somewhere in the snmpd.conf file; usually the
> bottom. Now, this is obviously never going to be the same on every
> single server... How would I accomplish this using Puppet? I'm
> guessing that I will need to use a template with some erb code and
> some facts from facter, but I'm just not sure what to do or how the
> code should look. Even if Puppet could ensure that all the disks (/dev/
> shm, /boot etc) are in there that would be fine. We could just tell
> our NMS which disks we want it to monitor. But it has to be in the
> above format!
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated!

You could centrally manage the snmp.conf files by class of server, or by
individual host. Or you could go the route of custom facts. Here is a
ticket discussing this: http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/2847 (It does
look like if you wait, it will be included in facter.)

<http://aws.amazon.com/solutions/solution-providers/brandorr/>