Oh nice!  I'm going to look into this - I hadn't spotted this.  My solution
was rather basic
and once the RPM was installed and the various /etc/ stuff done I was just
starting up
oracle and then telling the developers to:

sudo su - oracle
sqlplus database/password
@some script the dbas gave us
@another script

To configure everything.  I was planning on figuring out how to feed
scripts into sqlplus without doing it by hand so I could automate this, but
I hadn't got that far because honestly everything about Oracle makes me
want to punch my own face over and over.