On 2011-11-20 16:08 , Michal Ludvig wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a Puppet 2.6.8 setup on RHEL 5.6 with nodes.pp containing a
> simple import "nodes/*.pp" and per-node configs in nodes/<hostname>.pp
>
> Occasionally puppet master misses new nodes' files, simply ignores them
> and the subsequent puppet agent run on the node fails with "Could not
> find default node or by name with ...".
>
> All that is needed in such a case is "/etc/init.d/puppetmaster restart"
> but it's clearly not an optimal "fix". It doesn't happen all the time,
> in most cases the new node's file is correctly recognised, but in the
> last case the file was sitting there for 4 days unnoticed and only after
> puppetmaster restart it was read in.
>
> Any idea what's causing it? Is there anything we can do to prevent this
> from happening again and again?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Michal

Pretty sure you're just running into the "normal" behavior of the
caching that puppet does: Since puppet caches successfully compiled
files until it notices that they've changed, it won't go back to
re-compile the nodes.pp (and pick up the new nodes/<hostname>.pp files)
until nodes.pp itself needs a recompile.

--
Jacob Helwig
http://about.me/jhelwig