On Nov 22, 8:43 am, TisMe <russlav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running into an issue with perl-DBD-MySQL dependency with mysql
> in CentOS 5.7.
>
> I am trying to remove the mysql client and replace it with with
> percona version of the mysql client.
>
> It will not let me remove the mysql client because of that
> dependency.  I have already defined perl-DBD-MySQL in a different
> class...  I would rather not create an Exec[""].  I would rather do
> that as a last resort.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions with this?

It would be easier if I didn't have to guess at what the actual issue
is, but I think I can at least talk in the right general direction:

1) CentOS 5 package perl-DBD-MySQL depends on at least one feature
provided by package mysql, the distro's standard mysql client.
Therefore,

2) your options depend on (a) whether you want to keep perl-DBD-MySQL
and (b) whether the percona client provides all the features perl-DBD-
MySQL normally gets from package mysql.

Case 1: You don't need perl-DBD-MySQL or anything that depends on it
In this case, you can cause puppet to remove the package, preferrably
by declaring that resource with "ensure => absent".  You must then
also set up Puppet relationships so that Package['perl-DBD-MySQL'] is
applied *before* Package['mysql'].

Case 2: You need to keep perl-DBD-MySQL, and

Case 2a: the percona client provides all the resources perl-DBD-MySQL
needs.
In this case, set up relationships so that the percona package is
installed before Package['mysql'] is removed.  Alternatively, consider
whether you need to remove Package['mysql'] at all -- perhaps you can
have both clients installed side by side.  If you need to remove the
standard client and install the percona one in the same yum
transaction, however, then you are probably stuck with using the yum
shell via an Exec.

Case 2b: the percona client does not provide all the resources perl-
DBD-MySQL needs.
In this case, your only possible option is to leave Package['mysql']
installed and install the percona client alongside it.  If that
doesn't work then you're hosed (and Puppet has nothing to do with it).

John