Per our timed-release cycle process[1], we've entered the THUNDERDOME
for 2.7.7rc series (Nov) vs 2.7.8 series (Dec).

Two releases enter; one leaves.

It was determined today that 2.7.8 has won the Thunderdome.  (It was a
gory battle where 2.7.8 kicked 2.7.7 in the face, 2.7.7 fought back
with a weird behavior change, which is ultimately what cost it the
battle)

So, look for 2.7.8rc1 next week.

The main reasons for holding back 2.7.7 were concerns around
'showdiff' option.

1.  There is a feature that is a change in behavior if 'showdiff' is
enabled.  When enabled diffs will now be logged on disk (logs,
reports, etc)
2.   Showdiff is enabled by default when running 'puppet agent --test'
3.  -noop will not modify the showdiff setting at all. (this needs to
yet be fixed)

Note: 2.7.7 was tagged in our github repository, but not really
released.  If you happened to have deployed it, we will absolutely
still do our best to help you out, but 2.7.8 will have the behavior
around showdiffs setup as desired.

[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users/browse_thread/thread/3d703849246bd43f/c98d096d51ed221e

Mike Stahnke