Thanks Den for your reply.

Yes search works perfectly. I tried it multiple times and it still
works.
It works at non-ssl port as well.

So far as non-standard port is concerned, openDS LDAP uses 1636 port
as standard.
Moreover it had been working in past at port 1636.

Here is the puppet.conf file in use:
At present ssl settings are commented out.
[main]
    # The Puppet log directory.
    # The default value is '$vardir/log'.
    logdir = /var/log/puppet

    # Where Puppet PID files are kept.
    # The default value is '$vardir/run'.
    rundir = /var/run/puppet

    # Where SSL certificates are kept.
    # The default value is '$confdir/ssl'.
    ssldir = $vardir/ssl

    node_terminus =  ldap

[agent]
    # The file in which puppetd stores a list of the classes
    # associated with the retrieved configuratiion.  Can be loaded in
    # the separate ``puppet`` executable using the ``--loadclasses``
    # option.
    # The default value is '$confdir/classes.txt'.
    classfile = $vardir/classes.txt

    # Where puppetd caches the local configuration.  An
    # extension indicating the cache format is added automatically.
    # The default value is '$confdir/localconfig'.
    localconfig = $vardir/localconfig
    server = puppet-server.domain,com
    report = false
    runinterval = 30