Oh where to begin? I work for a company that has not taken our Linux
or Unix server configuration management very seriously. We are
primarily a Windows shop but long story short upper-management has
taken the advice of our Windows Server admins and purchased BigFix
which is now IBM Tivoli Endpoint Management (TEM). I have tried for
over a  month to get one of my SuSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 11
patched using TEM when I discovered a bug with their client. It took
over 5 hours to apply 30 patches. Performing this task manually, could
have been accomplished in under 15 - 30 minutes.
I was trying to get buy in to abandon TEM for our SLES servers but was
told to make TEM work and just do the patching manual until IBM
corrects the client bug. IBM doesn't have an ETA for my APAR which is
their bug report, I guess. The price for Puppet Enterprise was
reasonable and far less expensive than TEM so I am thinking about
getting Puppet installed, non-Enterprise version, to really show upper-
management how superior this tool is. I've seen a couple webinar
sessions of the new PE 2.0 version and wondered if this can all be
accomplished with the community version. Also, anyone have any good
step-by-step guides to get Puppet up and running, the community
version? I understand that PE 2.0 does all the installation and
configurations and provides a very easy to use GUI. I am a new user to
Puppet but read many articles and it sounds like the tool to use to
manage the SLES servers. I just don't know where to begin. What is the
average time for a user to get Puppet community edition up and
running?

Thanks in advanced!