On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Allister Banks <a...@aru-b.com> wrote:

> As createpackage has not been updated for quite some time, an
> alternative method of generating the package has been developed.  It
> utilizes Apple's Developer Tools/GCC and a project called the Luggage,
> which in turn uses make to generate the package. It also can be
> dynamically fed new version numbers, for both Puppet and Facter.
> https://github.com/unixorn/luggage
> https://github.com/unixorn/luggage-examples/tree/master/puppet
> https://github.com/unixorn/luggage-examples/tree/master/facter
>
> If you are deploying it using a patch management tool like Munki
> (munki.googlecode.com), it can use the proper protocol of querying the
> receipt db and therefore remove all the bits and pieces that were
> installed based upon their bill of materials.
>
> Allister Banks
> @sacrilicious
>
> On Nov 29, 3:53 am, Alexander Fortin <alexander.for...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 11/28/11 5:59 PM, Nigel Kersten wrote:
> >

> > > You should, yes.
> >
> > > I'd actually suggest the best thing to do is to run
> > > "conf/osx/createpackage.sh" to generate a proper Mac pkg out of the
> > > tarball. That will do some extra things like set up the right directory
> > > ownership for you.
> >
> > > The previous install.rb install should have put files into:
> >
> > > /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/puppet*
> > > /usr/bin/puppet*
> > > /usr/bin/filebucket
> > > /usr/bin/pi
> > > /usr/bin/ralsh
> > > /usr/sbin/puppet*
> > > and removing all those should effectively remove the install.
> >
> > Thanks Nigel, I've followed your suggestion and now I'm running puppet
> > v2.7.6 installed via gem
> >
> > PS I wasn't able to find the createpackage.sh script you suggested though
> >
> > --
> > Alexander Fortinhttp://about.me/alexanderfortin/

Just to add some clarity,

The createpackage.sh script in conf/osx actually works quite well,
regardless of how old it is.  Untar or git clone Puppet from source, make
sure you're in the root of the directory, and run:

sudo conf/osx/createpackage.sh

That should build a package for you and place it in the same directory
(puppet-2.7.7.pkg).

I initially created the recipe in The Luggage as a proof of concept so I
could build multiple packages from different Puppet versions, and it works
quite well for that, but you should find it much easier to use the package
bundled with source.  Let us know if you have any issues :)

Cheers!

--

Gary Larizza
Professional Services Engineer