On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 12:22, Luke <lutay...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  to automate our complex server builds

Well, that's Puppets core skill.

> and web app deployments but will assist our devs with getting their builds
> ready to deploy

Depends on how you deploy your webapps and your builds, it could, but it
might not be the best solution.  I use puppet to run my web servers, but I
use it in more of an "Apache, create websites X, Y & Z" fashion. Part of
that process does create all the requisite folders and setup an rsync from
the "web master" share to all the web servers.  So, in effect puppet is
controlling it all, but really it is up to the devs to not screw up
deploying their code to the share.

> . Monitoring, integration of
> Tomcat, mysql etc would be nice as well since configuring nagios is a
> pain.

Integrating Nagios has been done before, so you shouldn't have trouble
finding examples.  But Puppet isn't going to "monitor" itself, of course.

Can puppet do all of these things? Does it sound right for us?

> We are also considering CFengine and Chef. Would puppet be a better
> fit over these two? If so why?

I think all 3 options are fairly similar (I just recently went digging for
automation tools myself, and settled on Puppet).  Each one has their
strengths and weaknesses.

--
Jon
[[User:ShakataGaNai]] / KJ6FNQ